1) Wash the plums. Make sure the plums are firm and unripe.
2) Dry the plums thoroughly.
3) Remove any stems and leaves from the plum.
4) Fill the bottom of a cleaned, sanitised glass jar with a layer of sugar and set the dried plums above the sugar.
5) Pour the alcohol into the jar, completely covering the plums and sugar. The plums and sugar need to be fully submerged.
Seal the jars tightly with the airtight lids.
6) Store the jars in a cool, dark place for at least 10 months.
During this time, the plums will infuse the alcohol, and the sugar will dissolve, creating your perfect Umeshu.
Ume harvest generally falls annually in May. Do note that Ume has a short harvest so remember to plan your Ume orders to ensure available stocks.
If you missed out on harvest, you may still purchase our bottled umeshu here.